Dominic - My 1973 1303 project.

Share what you've done to your v-dub and how you did it.
Gordon H

Dominic - My 1973 1303 project.

Post by Gordon H » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi all,

Afraid I’ve not been on the forum for quite a few years to let you know how the restoration of my 1303 is going.

I bought Dominic (name given by me) in April 2013 and although he was complete he was suffering from severe chassis and body shell mounting rot!

He has a WoS VW Club tax disc holder with a disc dated 2001. His Reg. No. is XNC 135L.

At the time I contacted your club to see if anyone could remember anything about his previous owner history but had no success.

However, someone called Frank (if memory serves me correct) put me on to a 1974 1303 chassis that had new floor pans fitted.

This, I bought immediately and during the past 7 years I have been very slowly making progress with his resto.

This involved removing the shell from the chassis, which I scrapped after removing any parts that could be re-used.

I then replaced the front bulkhead and both heater channels and then seemed to lose momentum due to other activities!

However due to the COVID lockdown I’ve had no excuse not to crack on with it!

I’ve made more progress in the past 2 month than I have in the last 2 years!

The shell now has had the front L/H quarter replaced and both rear inner wing chassis mounting repair plates fitted amongst numerous other small plates welded on.

The shell is now mounted to the replacement chassis and the struts, brake lines etc all fitted.

I’m now starting to refit the interior, which I completely removed, including the wiring looms to allow me to do all the welding safely.

If anyone has a decent wiring diagram they could email me it would be much appreciated as I’ve lost the photographs I took showing all the dash and voltage regulator wiring.
Cheers,
Gordon H