Front Beam for a 1966 Splitscreen (RHD)

The place to list any cars, vans, parts or anything else you want to sell, want to own, want to swap, or want to give away.
McRod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Front Beam for a 1966 Splitscreen (RHD)

Post by McRod » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:52 pm

Looking for a good front beam for a 64 to 67 splitty if anyone might know where one is.

Cheers

Rod

McRod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Post by McRod » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:53 am

Also looking for advice of what is required to convert from an original spitty beam to an early bay beam.

Is it straightforward in terms of fitting or do they have to be altered in size etc?

Thanks in advance.

rodntod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Post by rodntod » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:48 pm

Hi Rod,

A 68-70 bay beam will fit pretty much straight on,but will still be drums,although it will keep the correct wide 5 stud pattern.If you want to upgrade to discs,then a later bay beam will give you that,but you'll then be on a 5x112 stud pattern.Oh and the bay beam gives you a slightly wider track,but nothing to worry about depending on your wheel choice

Ed

McRod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Post by McRod » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:06 am

rodntod wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:48 pm
Hi Rod,

A 68-70 bay beam will fit pretty much straight on,but will still be drums,although it will keep the correct wide 5 stud pattern.If you want to upgrade to discs,then a later bay beam will give you that,but you'll then be on a 5x112 stud pattern.Oh and the bay beam gives you a slightly wider track,but nothing to worry about depending on your wheel choice

Ed
Cheers Ed,

Definately want to keep the correct stud pattern and i think Robert McKenna has a good early front beam for me.

Hope to get down to you this week some time for those engines. I`ll give you a bell.

Cheers.

McRod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Post by McRod » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:14 am

Ed,

Just for clarification, is it possible to change from drums to discs on a late splitty or early bay front beam without having to go to a late bay beam?

Ideally i`d like discs and callipers but also want to retain the original 5 stud pattern of a late splitty.

Cheers

McRod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Post by McRod » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:30 pm

Ed this seems in excellent condition on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/late-splitsc ... 3998744985

Is it straightforward enough to change over the front spindles, trailing arms, hubs etc ?

Cheers

Rod

rodntod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Post by rodntod » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:28 pm

Ed,

Just for clarification, is it possible to change from drums to discs on a late splitty or early bay front beam without having to go to a late bay beam?

Ideally i`d like discs and callipers but also want to retain the original 5 stud pattern of a late splitty.

Cheers

You can get adapters to go from 5x112 back to wide 5 mate,but it widens the track slightly again.You can get a disc brake kit to update the splitty king and link beam ,but i think they are costly.

rodntod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Post by rodntod » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:46 pm

rodntod wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:28 pm
Ed,

Cheers

You can get adapters to go from 5x112 back to wide 5 mate,but it widens the track slightly again.You can get a disc brake kit to update the splitty king and link beam ,but i think they are costly.
Should also add, you can stay on stock splitty drums all round and fit a servo.Great brakes for less faffing and cost.

rodntod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Post by rodntod » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:46 pm

rodntod wrote:
Ed,

Cheers

Should also add, you can stay on stock splitty drums all round and fit a servo.Great brakes for less faffing and cost.

McRod
Paid Club Member
Paid Club Member

Post by McRod » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:29 am

rodntod wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:46 pm
rodntod wrote:
Ed,

Cheers

So many options.... my brain is beginning to hurt :D